What do I do to avoid smoking after meals if I'm trying to quit?

Here are some tips to avoid smoking after meals if you are trying to quit:
Know what kinds of foods increase your urge to smoke and stay away from them. If you are alone, call a friend or take a walk as soon as you've finished eating. Brush your teeth or use mouthwash right after meals. If possible, have someone massage your shoulders. If you have coffee or a fruit drink, concentrate on the taste. Wash the dishes by hand after eating—you can't smoke with wet hands!

This answer is based on source information from National Cancer Institute.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

New Info About Risks of Smoking Anything
We weren’t blowin’ smoke when we warned (over and over) about the health risks of smoking—anything! We know you want to kick the habit: Over 80 percen...
How will quitting smoking improve my health?
Leigh Vinocur, MDLeigh Vinocur, MD
According to the American Heart Association, if you quit smoking for about 10 years, your risk o...
Can I still quit smoking if I slip up while trying to quit?
Yes. Most people have multiple relapses before they finally quit. There are multiple ways to qui...
The Best Time to Quit Smoking
The Best Time to Quit Smoking