Do I have to throw away all my cigarettes if I'm going to quit smoking?

On the day you are going to quit smoking, you should throw away all your cigarettes.  If you do not like someone, you could give them to that person and help them age and get sick faster, but it is better just to throw them in the toilet and get rid of all of them.

Robert S. Kaufmann, MD
If you are going to be successful you do.  I think that cold turkey is the best way with the help of medications, support groups and friend support so I would get rid of all of your cigarettes before you start because if you get that craving you don't want to have them around.
Irwin Isaacs
Most people find that throwing away their cigarettes helps them in their resolve to quit.
Most smokers quit on their own. For many it may require several attempts and using different strategies. Most experts agree, however, that not having cigarettes easily accessible may be helpful, as is setting a quit date.
Quitting smoking involves getting rid of the temptation to light up. Throwing away all of your cigarettes can only help you resist that temptation.

In fact, while you're at it, dispose of your ashtrays and lighters, too. Removing everything associated with cigarette smoking reinforces the message that you have quit. And you don't need those items around reminding you how good it felt to smoke.

Instead, surround yourself with healthy snacks and find new activities to keep you busy. When you change your mind about smoking, you will change your actions.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

New Info About Risks of Smoking Anything
We weren’t blowin’ smoke when we warned (over and over) about the health risks of smoking—anything! We know you want to kick the habit: Over 80 percen...
Can changing my routine help me stop smoking?
Definitely.  You should, in fact, change your routine by exercising and doing and extra 30 minutes o...
6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick
6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick
Don't let these misconceptions keep you from quitting.
5 Steps to Quit Smoking
5 Steps to Quit Smoking