Can I become addicted to nicotine replacement therapy?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Because there is less nicotine in NRT and it is delivered more slowly, your chances of becoming addicted to NRT are much lower than becoming addicted to cigarettes. Also, you will be using NRT with less and less nicotine as you quit. This lets your body gradually get used to not having nicotine. 

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor. 

You can become addicted to nicotine replacement therapy. However, becoming addicted to nicotine replacement therapy is far less common than being addicted to smoking.

Continue Learning about Smoking Treatment

New Info About Risks of Smoking Anything
We weren’t blowin’ smoke when we warned (over and over) about the health risks of smoking—anything! We know you want to kick the habit: Over 80 percen...
How soon after I quit smoking will my health start to improve?
Your health will start to improve almost immediately after quitting smoking. Within 20 minutes after...
6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick
6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick6 Smoking Myths That Are Keeping You Sick
Don't let these misconceptions keep you from quitting.
Exercise Helps You Quit Smoking Faster
Exercise Helps You Quit Smoking Faster