Will sleeping on her back increase my baby's risk of choking?

Many parents place babies on their stomachs to sleep because they think it prevents them from choking on spit-up or vomit during sleep. In fact, the opposite is true; babies are less likely to choke when sleeping on their backs. When babies sleep on their back, the esophagus (food pipe) is below the trachea (wind pipe.) As a result, the spit-up or vomit cannot be breathed into the wind pipe. When a baby sleeps on his stomach, the food pipe is above the wind pipe. Gravity would then allow for the spit-up/vomit to be breathed in, causing the baby to choke. Since babies have been sleeping on their backs, studies worldwide have not found any increase in the incidence of aspiration, choking, pneumonia or other problems.

Continue Learning about Sleeping & Napping In Babies

Why doesn't my infant sleep through the night?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
In the first few weeks of life, babies don’t have a circadian rhythm going yet which helps them to k...
When is my baby most likely to take naps?
A baby's sleep is in phase with circadian rhythms, so he'll often be sleepy at 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. Tho...
Is it safe for my baby to sleep in my bed?
First CandleFirst Candle
Adult beds are not safe for sleeping babies for the following reasons: Soft bedding, such as pil...
How Can I Put My Baby On a Sleep Schedule?