When should my child stop taking naps?

Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Emergency Medicine
Every child is unique and has his own needs, but we can look at what is typical for children around this age. Most kids ages 2-3 need about one hour of naptime each day. Between age 3 and 4, though, many kids drop this nap.

But your own child’s behavior is the best guide. Is your child cranky in the afternoon? Or falling asleep at night perhaps earlier than you would want? If so, then he may need that afternoon nap. On the other hand, if he is happy during the afternoon and then falls asleep nicely at night, then you’re probably just fine!

Here’s one trick for when your child resists the nap but you think he needs a little bit of rest: Try some quiet time in the afternoon, such as sitting on his bed and reading a story. Make it your special time together. Sometimes he may fall asleep, or at least he will just get a little respite from the day.

Continue Learning about Sleeping & Napping In Babies

When is my baby most likely to take naps?
A baby's sleep is in phase with circadian rhythms, so he'll often be sleepy at 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. Tho...
How can I get my baby to sleep through the night?
Heather Wittenberg, PhDHeather Wittenberg, PhD
I have major beef with so many of the “baby sleep” books, because they set us up to believe that...
Will sleeping on her back increase my baby's risk of choking?
First CandleFirst Candle
Many parents place babies on their stomachs to sleep because they think it prevents them from chokin...
How Can I Put My Baby On a Sleep Schedule?