How can I reduce the risks of sleeping with my newborn?

Armin Brott
Pediatrics
Controlling these factors should eliminate most of the associated risks of co-sleeping with a newborn:
  • Never leave an infant unattended on the bed.
  • Never co-sleep on a waterbed or couch.
  • Don't add railings, put furniture next to the bed, or push the bed against a wall, all of which can lead to the baby becoming wedged against the mattress.
  • Never let a sibling sleep next to the baby. Children sleep more deeply and are more likely to roll over on the baby without waking.
  • Never co-sleep under the influence of drugs or alcohol, since this may prevent you from waking when necessary.
  • If you’re a smoker, don’t co-sleep, as parent smoking has been associated with a higher incidence of SIDS.
  • Use a firm mattress and make sure all bedding fits snugly.
  • Don’t do it if you have lots of pillows and blankets on the bed.
  • Make sure the mattress is flush against head and footboards.
  • Avoid strings or ties on night clothes or blankets.

Continue Learning about Sleeping & Napping In Babies

What is a normal sleep pattern for a newborn baby?
King F. Hom, MDKing F. Hom, MD
Most newborns typically feed about every 2 to 3 hours, and they usually sleep between those feed...
What is the best way to put a newborn baby to sleep?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
It will take weeks for a newborn to establish sleeping patterns. Some babies like to be massaged...
Are there benefits to co-sleeping?
At least for the first year of a baby's life, co-sleeping is NOT recommended. This is because of the...
How Can I Put My Baby On a Sleep Schedule?