What do I need to know about scar treatment?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
There are multi scar treatment methods that are now currently used in 2011.  
1. Our postsurgical patients are given a silicon gel spray to apply twice a day for a minimum of 3 months after breast lifts, breast implants and abdominoplasty surgeries. The silicon gel has been useful to reduce thickening of scars and can be applied twice a day.
2. Vitamin E. Vitamin E may be useful for also reducing scar formation, however, there is controversy as to its true effectiveness.  
3. Steroid injection (Kenalog). Many dermatologists use small amounts of Kenalog intralesionally into the scar in order to reduce the thickness of the scar and reduce the blood vessels or telangiectasias.

Continue Learning about Skin Injury

Can You Make Scars Go Away?
Can You Make Scars Go Away?
Whether it’s the result of a minor kitchen mishap or a more serious accident, almost everyone has at least a scar or two. But while some injuries seem...
Why does an incision heal faster than a laceration?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
An incision heals faster than a laceration because straight edges create less surface area to re...
Should I clean a scab?
Don't clean a scab. The best thing you can do is to leave a scab alone. If you soak the scab in ...
How do I prevent infection in skin injuries?
If you have a skin injury that is not cleaned properly or that is not treated with antibiotic ointme...