What treatments can help for ichthyosis?

Anthony L. Komaroff, MD
Ichthyosis is dry, flaky, scaly skin that can involve large areas of the body's surface. The scales may be tiny or large, like fish scales. The extreme skin dryness of ichthyosis can lead to itching, scratching, infection, and skin odor.

There are many types of ichthyosis. Most are inherited. Rare types are part of genetic "syndromes" that are associated with deafness, tooth disorders, hair disorders, or other problems. Some types that involve scales in the warm, moist creases of the skin (like the inner arms, backs of legs or underarms) are especially prone to infection and foul-smelling odor.

The following treatments are aimed at moisturizing and repairing the skin barrier:
  • Mineral oil
  • Petrolatum (similar to petroleum jelly)
  • Lotions that contain urea or alpha-hydroxy acids (such as lactic acid or glycolic acid)
People with skin odor from the bacterial infection may need to apply topical antiseptics or a prescription antibiotic. If the infection is more extensive, a doctor may prescribe an oral antibiotic.

Ichthyosis should be evaluated by a dermatologist. This doctor will determine the type, suggest the best treatment and look for associated syndromes.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Prescription Therapies for Pediatric Atopic Dermatitis
Atopic dermatitis affects people of all ages, and millions of children and teens live with the condition. If you are the parent of a child or teen tha...
Why can topical medications cause peeling of the skin?
Certain medications increase the rate of cell turnover in the skin, making it shed faster and po...
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
Dry temperatures, chemicals and other atopic dermatitis triggers to avoid.
What Can I Do About My Stretch Marks?
What Can I Do About My Stretch Marks?