What is scleroderma?

For all those etymology buffs out there, a little Greek can help you figure out what scleroderma literally means: Sklerosis is the Greek word for hardness and derma is the Greek word for skin -- hard skin. It is classified as a rheumatic autoimmune disease. It occurs when collagen, the main protein component of connective tissue in the skin, blood vessels, joints, muscles, and ligaments (It’s what makes your skin strong and elastic; wrinkles develop when it degrades.) is overproduced. Localized scleroderma only affects the skin, but systemic scleroderma can be life threatening and damages internal organs like your heart, esophagus, lungs, and kidneys, every place you find collagen. Unfortunately ladies, it’s more common in women than men and typically develops in people between the ages of 30 and 50.

Scleroderma is an autoimmune rheumatic disease that impacts the skin and connective tissue, resulting, most commonly, in hardening and tightening of the skin in specific areas.

Seek a physician's assistance for medical concerns.

Scleroderma, also called systemic sclerosis, is a chronic, degenerative disease that causes blood vessel abnormalities as well as joint, skin, and internal organ problems. Symptoms include thickening and swelling of the tips of the fingers; Raynaud's disease; joint pain; taut, dark skin on the face; spider veins; scarring of the skin on the fingers, wrists, or elbows causing immobility; and heart failure and abnormal heart rhythms.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Pediatric Atopic Dermatitis: Understanding Severity
Atopic dermatitis is a skin condition that affects people of all ages, and is fairly common among children and teenagers. The majority of people who h...
What should I expect at an office visit to a dermatologist?
What happens during an office visit to a dermatologist depends on why you scheduled the visit. I...
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
All-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin ConditionsAll-Access Guide to Five Common Skin Conditions
Get to the root of common skin disorders, including triggers, treatment and more. 
How Does the Food I Eat Affect My Skin?
How Does the Food I Eat Affect My Skin?