What are chemical peels?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
Chemical peels are useful for rejuvenation of the facial skin by exfoliation of the outer layer (the epidermis) and strengthen of the dermis. The peels action is to increase fibroblastic formation of collagen and elastin in the papillary layer. The three peels include mild peels such as glycolic acid, moderate peels including TCA, and the deepest peels- Phenols. The new Brazilian peel is a professional strength glycolic acid facial treatment that may be used at home. It is a combination of glycolic acid and L-arginine to reduce irritation of the skin. 
Daniel Kapp
Daniel Kapp on behalf of MDLIVE
Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
Chemical peels are a plastic surgery/dermatology technique whereby certain acids and chemicals are used to injure the outer layer of the face, the epidermis, which will result in re-epithelialization of face and also result in a thickening or a re-growth of collagen within the dermis.  It is one of the techniques which plastic surgeons and dermatologists use to improve the appearance of the skin. 

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

The Link Between Atopic Dermatitis and Food Allergies
Atopic dermatitis, also referred to as AD or eczema, is a chronic skin condition characterized by red, irritated and itchy patches of skin. While ther...
What should I do before using a product to treat a skin condition?
Ben KaminskyBen Kaminsky
Before selecting a product to treat a skin condition, it is a good idea to have professional adv...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
How Is Rosacea Treated?
How Is Rosacea Treated?