Do I need a biopsy if my doctor spots something suspicious on my skin?

Dr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Dermatology
If you need a biopsy, your doctor should take care of it immediately and get it over with that day, depending on how involved it might be. There are different methods used to obtain a sample for a pathologist, and some are less invasive than others. No matter which manner of biopsy your dermatologist chooses, it should take no longer than a few minutes. You get the results of a biopsy within a week by phone.
Simple Skin Beauty: Every Woman's Guide to a Lifetime of Healthy, Gorgeous Skin

What if a leading dermatologist just happened to be your best friend and you could ask her anything? DR. ELLEN MARMUR, a world-renowned New York City dermatologist, answers all your questions with...

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Hidradenitis Suppurativa: Symptoms, Severity and Stages
Hidradenitis suppurativa (HS) is a chronic inflammatory skin disorder. While the condition affects people of all ages, the first symptoms typically ap...
What allergy tests might be order diagnose the cause of my hives?
There are several types of allergy tests, but the most commonly used is the scratch test. This test ...
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis6 Things That Can Worsen Atopic Dermatitis
Dry temperatures, chemicals and other atopic dermatitis triggers to avoid.
How Can Exfoliating My Skin Keep It Healthy?