How should I manage my child's hives?

Antihistamines such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl) are a good treatment for hives which is also called urticaria.  Hydrocortisone cream helps a little in some cases. If the cause of hives is known, remove the exposure.  For instance, if a medication is suspected, stop taking the medication. However, in most cases of hives the cause will remain a mystery.  If there is labored breathing or wheezing that accompanies hives, see medical care right away.  Your child may need more than just an antihistamine.
Make a list of everything that your child ate (such as food or medication) or
touched several hours before the rash appeared, as well as any recent bee stings or illnesses.

Take the list to your pediatrician to help identify any potential cause for the hives, and often more pressing at the moment, discuss how to take the
itch out of the situation.

Your pediatrician may recommend giving an oral antihistamine (like Benadryl) to offer some relief.

In cases in which hives keep showing up or are particularly itchy, you may want to get additional advice about using a non-sedating antihistamine around the clock for a few days because the use of regular antihistamines can
make children quite drowsy.

If you have an allergic infant or child, it is wise to be prepared and have an antihistamine on hand at all times, just in case.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

How Atopic Dermatitis Can Hurt Your Mental Health
Atopic dermatitis, often referred to as AD or eczema, is a skin condition that affects nearly 18 million adults and over 9 million children in the Uni...
Do skin tags cause cancer?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Skin tags are benign tumors, so they are non-cancerous. Because they are not known to become cancero...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
How Is Rosacea Treated?
How Is Rosacea Treated?