How should I manage my child's hives?

Make a list of everything that your child ate (such as food or medication) or
touched several hours before the rash appeared, as well as any recent bee stings or illnesses.

Take the list to your pediatrician to help identify any potential cause for the hives, and often more pressing at the moment, discuss how to take the
itch out of the situation.

Your pediatrician may recommend giving an oral antihistamine (like Benadryl) to offer some relief.

In cases in which hives keep showing up or are particularly itchy, you may want to get additional advice about using a non-sedating antihistamine around the clock for a few days because the use of regular antihistamines can
make children quite drowsy.

If you have an allergic infant or child, it is wise to be prepared and have an antihistamine on hand at all times, just in case.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

15 Things to Record in Your Chronic Hives Symptom Journal
Living with chronic hives can be frustrating and challenging. Known by the clinical name chronic urticaria, chronic hives recur and persist for a peri...
Treatment Options for Difficult-to-Treat Chronic Hives
Urticaria is the clinical term for hives—red, raised, itchy welts that form on the surface of the skin. Hives are classified as either acute or chroni...
What Causes Age Spots?
What Causes Age Spots?
How Is Rosacea Related to Digestive Health?