How common is a Spitz nevus?

A Spitz nevus is an unusual type of mole that looks similar to melanoma but isn't. Most Spitz nevi occur in a person's first 20 years of life. While these moles may develop in adults, they are more common in children and adolescents.

A Spitz nevus is often is pink and somewhat dome-shaped. A Spitz nevus also can also be other colors such as red, black, and brown. If you have any odd or irregular moles or moles that change in appearance, talk to your doctor or dermatologist right away.

Continue Learning about Skin Disorders

Ask the Experts: Hereditary Angioedema Prevention
Hereditary angioedema (HAE) is a rare genetic condition characterized by episodes of severe swelling. In this video, Dr. Mehmet Oz discusses the tellt...
When should I see a doctor about sun rash?
You should see a doctor if your sun rash seems especially severe. For instance, if it covers more ar...
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
What’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and GrowthsWhat’s On My Skin? 8 Common Bumps, Lumps and Growths
From acne to hives, get the lowdown on your peskiest skin issues. 
How Is Rosacea Treated?
How Is Rosacea Treated?