No, you cannot develop sickle cell anemia as an adult. It is an inherited condition and will be present from birth. In the United States, all births are screened for sickle cell anemia.
- Q What causes sickle cell disease?
- Q What is sickle cell trait?
- Q What do I need to know about caring for someone with sickle cell anemia?
- Q How does sickle cell anemia affect men differently than women?
- Q How many people get sickle cell anemia?
- Q If I have sickle cell trait, do I also have sickle cell disease?