Who gets shingles?

Anyone can get shingles, but some people have a greater risk than others. For starters, your chance of getting shingles increases with each passing year, especially once you turn 40. The risk continues to rise as you age. A person who is 60 is 10 times more likely to develop shingles than a child who is 10, according to the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. A small number of children are at risk for pediatric shingles. An infant whose mother developed chickenpox just before giving birth has an increased risk for developing shingles as a small child.

You are also more likely to develop shingles if your immune system is weakened or not working properly. That includes people who have human immunodeficiency disease (HIV), certain types of cancer, and other diseases. People whose poor immune function makes them vulnerable to shingles may also develop severe, long-term symptoms.

Talk with your doctor about your risk for developing shingles.

Continue Learning about Shingles

A Shingles Diagnosis: One Expert Weighs In
In this video, Nethea shares her story with shingles. Watch her and her physician discuss the the painful rash that woke her in the middle of the nigh...
Can shingles pain lead to a decline in quality of life?
Matthew F. McCarty, MDMatthew F. McCarty, MD
Yes. A percentage of people can develop pain after shingles otherwise known as PHN or post herpetic ...
6 Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Shingles
6 Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Shingles6 Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Shingles6 Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Shingles6 Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Shingles
Who is at risk, who should get vaccinated and other key questions about shingles.
My Story, My Diagnosis: Nancy's Story
My Story, My Diagnosis: Nancy's Story