Is shingles contagious?

A person with a shingles rash can pass the virus to someone, usually a child, who has never had chickenpox. However, the child will develop chickenpox, not shingles. Merely being in the same room with a shingles patient will not cause the child to catch chickenpox because during a shingles infection the virus is not normally in the lungs and therefore can't be spread through the air. The child must come into direct contact with the open sores of the shingles rash to be infected by the virus.

People with chickenpox cannot communicate shingles to someone else although they can of course pass the chickenpox on to someone who has never had chickenpox. In cases of chickenpox, the virus can become airborne because it is found in the upper respiratory tract.

Shingles occurs when an unknown trigger causes the virus hiding inside the person's body to become activated. Unlike chickenpox, shingles can't be "caught" from someone else.

This answer is based on source information from the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke.

Continue Learning about Shingles

My Story, My Diagnosis: Nancy's Story
My Story, My Diagnosis: Nancy's Story
Nancy experienced a shingles infection in January of 2018. In this video, she shares her story, including her initial symptoms, her visit to the emerg...
If You’re Over 50, You’re at Risk for Shingles
Fifty may seem like the new 40—as people live longer and take better care of themselves, middle age can feel like just a number. And it may seem like ...
The Links Between Shingles and Emotional Health
You wake up one morning and feel a weird burning, itchy or tingly sensation. You look, but there’s nothing to see. The irritating sensation might last...
How should I cleanse my skin if I have shingles?
Shingles can be very painful and usually causes a blistering rash, so you need to take extra car...