What is the herpes zoster virus?

Herpes zoster, commonly known as “shingles,” is caused by the same virus responsible for chicken pox.

After being infected with chicken pox as a child, the virus remains in your body in an inactive or dormant stage. later in life, the virus can be reactivated if your body’s immune system breaks down. this may happen due to the normal aging process or a number of other factors, including:

• Illness, such as HIV (human immunodeficiency virus)
  • Fatigue
  • Emotional or physical stress
  • Poor nutrition
  • Chemotherapy or radiation therapy
  • Certain medications

Continue Learning about Shingles

Avoiding the Shingles Vaccine? Here's Why You Should Consider It
In this video, Dr. Kevin Soden, MD, discusses the shingles vaccine, which is now available for most people who are 50 years of age or older. Learn how...
Should CFS or fibromyalgia patients get the shingles vaccine?
Jacob TeitelbaumJacob Teitelbaum
I am not quick to offer shingles vaccine in chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS). I am quick, at the firs...
6 Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Shingles
6 Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Shingles6 Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Shingles6 Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Shingles6 Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Shingles
Who is at risk, who should get vaccinated and other key questions about shingles.
A Shingles Diagnosis: One Expert Weighs In