Can children get shingles?

It's possible for people of any age to get shingles, but it's rare among children. Anyone who has had chickenpox has the potential to develop shingles later. Generally, though, the virus stays dormant in your body and doesn't resurface until many years later. Because of this, it's most common among adults older than 50 and among people with weakened immune systems.

Shingles primarily afflicts adults, but children can develop this painful condition. A child is most at risk for developing shingles if his or her mother developed chickenpox late in her pregnancy. If a woman gets chickenpox between five and 21 days before giving birth, there is a small chance that her child will develop shingles before age five. The reason is that the child's immune system may not be strong enough to control the virus that causes shingles.

Call your doctor right away if you think your child might have symptoms of shingles.

Continue Learning about Shingles

6 Essential Facts About the Shingles Vaccine
Shingles is an infection caused by a reactivation of the virus that causes chickenpox. After you’ve had chickenpox and the infection has cleared up, t...
How should I cleanse my skin if I have shingles?
Shingles can be very painful and usually causes a blistering rash, so you need to take extra car...
6 Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Shingles
6 Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Shingles6 Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Shingles6 Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Shingles6 Questions to Ask Your Doctor About Shingles
Who is at risk, who should get vaccinated and other key questions about shingles.
The Shingles Vaccine Is Safe and Effective