How common is premature ejaculation?

Ian Kerner, PhD
Sexual Health
Although more studies are needed, research suggests that premature ejaculation (PE) may affect about 30 percent of men at some point in their lives. When you consider the historical confusion over a clear definition of PE, the shame and reluctance of many men to identify themselves as having PE, and the fact that there are many women who are willing to fake orgasm in order to spare their partners the embarrassment of dealing with PE and sexual failure, it’s reasonable to say that we’ve only touched the tip of the iceberg in terms of understanding the full impact of PE on men and their partners.
The #1 male sexual problem is premature ejaculation -- ejaculation that occurs sooner than desired, either before or shortly after penetration, causing distress to one or both partners. Roughly 1 in 5 men experience premature ejaculation.

Premature ejaculation is more common in younger men than in older men, says Erik Goluboff, MD, a urologist at Beth Israel Medical Center in New York City. In this video, he discusses treatment options for premature ejaculation.

Continue Learning about Premature Ejaculation

How important is mastering oral sex if I have premature ejaculation?
Ian Kerner, PhDIan Kerner, PhD
Premature ejaculation (PE) is less of a problem if you can satisfy a woman, regardless of how that h...
What is the difference between chronic and acquired premature ejaculation?
Ian Kerner, PhDIan Kerner, PhD
Chronic premature ejaculation (PE) means ejaculation has been a problem ever since your first sexual...
How Do I Cope If Sexual Health Issues Make Me Feel Like Less of a Man?
How Might a Man React to Having Premature Ejaculation?