Being overweight or obese, high amounts of stress, not getting enough sleep, taking anti-depressants, and for those with diabetes, having uncontrolled blood glucose levels all decrease testosterone production and negatively affect libido. Consuming large amounts of unhealthy items like high saturated fat foods, caffeine, and alcohol can decrease testosterone production.
Consuming foods high in Zinc and B Vitamins, and, in general, foods found in the Mediterranean Diet can aid in the production of testosterone. Below is my "better health and better sex" list of great foods:
- Salmon (wild not farmed), and mackerel -- high in Omega-3 EPA/DHA, B vitamins, B5, B6 and B12
- Avocados -- high in vitamin B6 and potassium
- Bananas -- high in potassium and B vitamins, especially riboflavin
- Almonds, pine nuts and other nuts -- high in zinc and essential fatty acids
- Oysters -- high in zinc
- Asparagus -- contain B vitamins
- Eggs -- good source of B vitamins
- Brown rice, cheese, turkey -- all great sources of zinc
Eating the foods above and exercising regularly, getting adequate sleep (7-9 hours) each night, managing stress levels, and being at a healthy body weight all help support testosterone production and a healthy libido. So if just being healthy wasn't a strong enough motivator to eat right and exercise, maybe sex is!