What foods can boost my sex drive?

The path to greater sexual satisfaction could begin with what you eat, resulting in the right balance of hormones and conditions that'll get you closer to your goal of sexual satisfaction and improved intimacy. The following are all-natural libido boosters:
  • Pumpkin seeds contain zinc, the ultimate sex mineral. Studies show that women with a greater sex drive have higher levels of testosterone. To increase your testosterone, add zinc to your diet. Zinc blocks the enzyme that converts testosterone to estrogen. A quarter-cup serving of pumpkin seeds may do the trick.
  • For increased arousal, try watermelon. The compounds present in watermelon may have a "Viagra-like" effect, relaxing blood vessels and increasing blood flow. Proper blood flow allows the tissues to become engorged, aroused and lubricated.
  • As cliché as it sounds, there's a reason chocolate-covered strawberries are one of Cupid's favorite weapons. Dark chocolate (make sure it's 70% cocoa) helps to increase dopamine levels, the brain's "pleasure chemical"; the bioflavonoids in dark chocolate also open up blood vessels and improve blood flow. The sugar in the strawberries gives you a little boost of energy. Combined, you may find yourself feeling a little more inspired than usual.
  • Add some fish to your diet. Halibut can raise testosterone levels because it's high in magnesium. Magnesium makes it more difficult for testosterone to latch onto proteins in the body. As a result, testosterone is distributed in the blood, helping to kick up your sex drive.
  • Asparagus is considered one of the best libido-boosting foods since it's rich in folate. A naturally occurring form of folic acid, folate regulates the production of histamine -- the chemical that is released during an orgasm.
  • Garlic contains allicin, a compound that thins the blood. Because of this, it improves the blood circulation necessary for an erection by relaxing the arteries. Having strong circulation also allows for greater physical endurance in the bedroom.
  • In addition to containing potassium and B vitamins that elevate energy levels, bananas contain the natural anti-inflammatory enzyme bromelain, which aids in triggering greater production of testosterone.
  • Add celery to your salad. It contains androsterone, a pheromone precursor. Pheromones are odorless chemical signals released through sweat glands; once "smelled," pheromones can subconsciously affect the behavior of the receiving mate.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com.

Continue Learning about Sex Drive (Libido)

How Frequently Should I Get a Pap Smear to Screen for Cervical Cancer?
What Can I Do to Have Better Orgasms?
What Can I Do to Have Better Orgasms?
Is It Normal for a Woman's Sex Drive to Change with Age?
What Does It Mean to "Be Present" During Sex?