Why are humans more interested in sex in summertime?

There's a biological reason why humans are hornier during the summer (and it has nothing to do with a dramatic seasonal increase in tank tops). Here goes: We all have a third eye called the pineal gland located in the middle of the brain, which secretes melatonin. That's what helps us sleep. Melatonin blocks our sex hormones, and the long and bright days of sunshine cause a decrease in melatonin production (which is what stimulates breeding in some animals, and vice versa when days are shorter and nights are longer). So our pineal gland senses the length of the day and increases our sexual drive in relation to it. What's the upside? The child is born in the following spring and has the summer to grow before enduring the challenges of winter.

You: Being Beautiful - The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...

Continue Learning about Sex Drive (Libido)

How do I bring back the spark in the bedroom?
Ariel & Shya KaneAriel & Shya Kane
First and foremost, start by being kind to YOURSELF! How you treat yourself, you will ultimately inf...
Does the pill decrease a woman's sex drive?
Marcy Holmes, MSN, NPMarcy Holmes, MSN, NP
Most women will find the birth control pill will decrease their sex drive over time, especially in p...
What Can I Do to Have Better Orgasms?
What Can I Do to Have Better Orgasms?
How Is Vaginal Dryness Treated?
How Is Vaginal Dryness Treated?