Why does the vagina lubricate when a woman is aroused?

Madeleine M. Castellanos, MD
Psychiatry
When a woman gets sexually aroused, her body produces a clear, very slippery lubrication that is very close in consistency to a man's pre-ejaculatory fluid. This lubrication occurs when the glands that surround the opening of the vagina have increased blood flow to the surrounding tissues as a response to sexual arousal. This actually causes moisture to flow from the blood vessels and surrounding spongy tissue into the glands because of increased blood pressure in those tissues.  As this moisture passes into the glands, they release this wonderful natural lubrication. You will notice a distinct difference between this lubrication and the normal moisture of the vagina.  This natural lubrication is much slipperier and is mainly produced around the opening of the vagina. It is slippery enough that it can be spread to the inner vaginal wall as well as over the lips and even up to the clitoris.

Continue Learning about Sex and Relationships

Is Worrying About Your Love Life Making You Sick?
Can a relationship make you physically sick? It turns out that worrying about the state of your love life can cause your stress level to go through th...
Make Love, Calm Down
Make Love, Calm Down
Do your palms sweat, knees shake and lips quiver at the thought of giving a presentation?  The key to keeping your jitters at bay may lie between the...
How Can I Talk to My Partner About Sex?
How Can I Talk to My Partner About Sex?
How Can I Boost My Sexual Drive?
How Can I Boost My Sexual Drive?