Why do LIFE participants need to be nursing home eligible?

Dr. Arun S. Rao, MD
Geriatric Medicine Specialist

LIFE (Living Independently for Elders) programs are meant to take care of people who are determined nursing home eligible but want to stay in the community. LIFE programs take care of people who otherwise without this support and these services, and the support and services of their family and friends, may otherwise end up in a nursing home. So the LIFE program does what it can to serve them in the community.

Continue Learning about Senior Health

Seniors, Don’t Tough Out Your Pain
Seniors, Don’t Tough Out Your Pain
As he approached his eleventh decade, the great vaudeville, radio, film and television comedian George Burns said, “I was brought up to respect my eld...
Should I be worried about my elderly mother losing weight?
Maureen Q. Russell, MPH, RNMaureen Q. Russell, MPH, RN
The honest answer, as so often happens when working with elders, is: "That depends." Unintentional w...
How important is good communication between doctors and my elderly parent?
Palliative and Therapeutic Harmonization Consortium for frail elderly - PATHPalliative and Therapeutic Harmonization Consortium for frail elderly - PATH
Honest and sensitive communication between doctors, patients and families is the key to better healt...
What Type of Policy Changes Is AARP Advocating?