What is the size of the elderly LGBT population?

The 65+ lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) population in the U.S. will double in size in the next 30 years, growing from 40 million to 80 million strong. People of color figure prominently in these statistics. Today, one in five older people is a person of color; that will increase to one in three by 2030. This dramatic growth is already fueling broad policy discussions on issues such as Social Security, the rising cost of pensions, and the pros and cons of more dependence on older workers, to name a few.

Continue Learning about Senior Health

Seniors, Eat Your Vitamins…and Don’t Forget Your Protein, Too!
Q: My ankle has been chronically sore, so I had it x-rayed. It showed a bone spur. My doctor wants me to do physical therapy before deciding on surger...
How can I keep a senior citizen safe during the summer?
Maureen Q. Russell, MPH, RNMaureen Q. Russell, MPH, RN
Hot summer weather can be a challenge for all of us. While taking care of an elder in the summer, ma...
How can I tell if an older adult is depressed?
Anthony CirilloAnthony Cirillo
Professors of psychiatry at the University of Rochester Medical Center have pinpointed a number of p...
What Are the Current Solutions to Caregiving Issues?