What should be included in a comprehensive assessment for an older adult?

Healthcare visits for older adults include many of the same components seen in all age ranges, such as addressing the patient's concerns, treatment of diseases and discussion about healthy lifestyle. However, specific considerations for older patients should include assessment of the following: medications, fall risk, vision, hearing, mood and cognition, bowel and bladder control, nutrition, safety (including abuse concerns) and ability to perform certain tasks (such as driving and self-care). Age-specific vaccinations and screening tests should also be considered. Additionally it is important to discuss end-of-life goals and planning.

Continue Learning about Senior Health

How can I keep a senior citizen safe during the summer?
Maureen Q. Russell, MPH, RNMaureen Q. Russell, MPH, RN
Hot summer weather can be a challenge for all of us. While taking care of an elder in the summer, ma...
How can I convince my loved one to consider enrolling in a LIFE program?
Dr. Arun S. Rao, MDDr. Arun S. Rao, MD
You may be able to convince your loved one to consider enrolling in a LIFE (Living Independently for...
How Important Is the Internet as a Tool in Caregiving?
What are the Challenges Competing with Fast Food?