What should I know about a facility's staff before choosing a nursing home?

Anthony Cirillo
Geriatric Medicine

Before choosing a care facility find out about staffing:

• How many aides per patient are there?
  • How many licensed practical nurses (LPN's) and registered nurses (RN's) per patient are there?
  • How long has staff been on board?
  • What is the turnover rate?
  • Are temporary people used?
  • Is management stable?
  • Is management experienced in long-term care?
  • Are there geriatric nurse specialists and others specially trained to care for older adults?
  • Does a facility conduct criminal background checks?
  • What are the responsibilities of individual staff members?
  • Who supervises them?
  • What is the duration and frequency of services? Experts say to only consider a home that is providing at least two hours of direct care to the resident a day.
  • Find out how the staff is treated. Are they adequately trained? How are they valued and recognized?
  • Observe how the staff interacts with residents.

Facilities with staff that have been in place a long time are facilities that provide better care because they have experience. The facility must be treating its employees with respect if they stay.

Who Moved My Dentures? 13 False (Teeth) Truths About Long-Term Care and Aging in America

Who Moved My Dentures dispels 13 different myths about long-term care and aging in America as told through human interest stories of people the author has met through his work as a healthcare...

Continue Learning about Senior Health

Opioid Addiction Is Rising in Seniors—Who’s at Fault?
OxyContin has made over $31 billion in sales, and pharma companies have been accused of endangering the health of the elderly—all for a profit. That’...
What types of specialists are involved in the PACE model?
Dr. Pamela A. Fenstemacher, MDDr. Pamela A. Fenstemacher, MD
Specialists involved in the PACE (Program of All-inclusive Care for the Elderly) model include: s...
Should I be worried about my elderly mother losing weight?
Maureen Q. Russell, MPH, RNMaureen Q. Russell, MPH, RN
The honest answer, as so often happens when working with elders, is: "That depends." Unintentional w...
Are There Enough Physicians to Care for the Aging Population?