How can joining a LIFE program improve my loved one's cognitive abilities?

Dr. Arun S. Rao, MD
Geriatric Medicine Specialist

When people join a LIFE (Living Independently for Elders) program, sometimes cognitive abilites improve without medicines or any kind of medical intervention. It's purely getting out of the house, being with other people, listening to music, doing activities that they want to do with other folks, and getting their needs attended to. Those simple interventions are not costly. Simple interventions make life better for not only that participant, but for their caregivers.

Many older adults who've had their own way of sitting in the community, have been at home, watching a certain set of TV shows, and that's that. They've been resistant to joining a LIFE program. But they change once they come to a LIFE program and start attending the LIFE center, making friends with other people who are there, and getting to know the staff and the colleagues.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider.

Continue Learning about Senior Health

More Calcium Doesn’t Mean Fewer Fractures in Seniors
Upping calcium intake has always been popular advice for stronger bones—but the connection between the two may be crumbling. Some scientists are sayin...
How can I make my home safe as I age in place?
Aging in place is easier than ever. You can make your home safe as you age in place, from easy home ...
What are Area Agencies on Aging?
Eric PfeifferEric Pfeiffer
Area Agencies on Aging are federally funded community organizations designed to assist elderly p...
What Is an Easy Way to Tell My Doctor About Incontinence?