How can fall-related injuries be prevented in older adults?

Fall-related injuries among older adults can be prevented by making a few practical lifestyle changes.
  • Ask for an assessment of your risk of falling. Many doctors offer a “Get Up and Go Test” to evaluate a patient’s balance and gait.
  • Be sure to share your history of recent falls with your doctor.
  • Review your medications with your doctor or pharmacist to make sure there are no side effects that may increase your risk of falling.
  • Have an eye exam every year and update your eyeglasses when needed.
  • Do exercises that focus on increasing leg strength and improving balance.
  • Wear low-heeled, rubber-soled shoes and do not walk in socks, stockings or slippers.
  • Use a cane or walker.
  • Use a medical alert system with automatic fall detection.
  • Talk to family members and enlist their support in taking simple steps to stay safe.
This content originally appeared online at Baptist Health South Florida.

Continue Learning about Senior Health

Seniors, Move It or Gain It
Seniors, Move It or Gain It
Don Pellman, age 99, did the high jump in college, but gave it up for the next 58 years. Then after reti...
What is the size of the elderly LGBT population?
SAGESAGE
The 65+ lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) population in the U.S. will double in size in ...
What should I drink to prevent overheating if I am elderly?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
To prevent overheating, drink plenty of fluids, even when you are not thirsty. Water is the best for...
How Are the Costs of Caregiving Being Addressed?