How can fall-related injuries be prevented in older adults?

Fall-related injuries among older adults can be prevented by making a few practical lifestyle changes.
  • Ask for an assessment of your risk of falling. Many doctors offer a “Get Up and Go Test” to evaluate a patient’s balance and gait.
  • Be sure to share your history of recent falls with your doctor.
  • Review your medications with your doctor or pharmacist to make sure there are no side effects that may increase your risk of falling.
  • Have an eye exam every year and update your eyeglasses when needed.
  • Do exercises that focus on increasing leg strength and improving balance.
  • Wear low-heeled, rubber-soled shoes and do not walk in socks, stockings or slippers.
  • Use a cane or walker.
  • Use a medical alert system with automatic fall detection.
  • Talk to family members and enlist their support in taking simple steps to stay safe.
This content originally appeared online at Baptist Health South Florida.

Continue Learning about Senior Health

Seniors, Don’t Tough Out Your Pain
Seniors, Don’t Tough Out Your Pain
As he approached his eleventh decade, the great vaudeville, radio, film and television comedian George Burns said, “I was brought up to respect my eld...
Read More
What should be included in a comprehensive assessment for an older adult?
Univ. of Nev. School of Medicine, Family MedicineUniv. of Nev. School of Medicine, Family Medicine
Healthcare visits for older adults include many of the same components seen in all age ranges, such ...
More Answers
What is geriatric oncology?
Ajay K. Sahajpal, MDAjay K. Sahajpal, MD
Geriatric oncology is essentially the field of medical oncology that is dedicated or specific to the...
More Answers
How Can I Protect My Memory as I Get Older?
How Can I Protect My Memory as I Get Older?

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.