As an older adult, why should I avoid some medications?

Anne Fabiny
Geriatric Medicine
A number of over-the-counter and prescription drugs commonly taken by older people have side effects that can scramble thinking and dim memory. Because the elderly are more sensitive to these effects and often take multiple medications, the cumulative effect may make it difficult for them to carry out basic daily activities such as bathing, dressing, and even walking.

Many doctors may not fully appreciate that the drugs they're recommending and prescribing might be saddling their patients with detrimental side effects because, individually, the effect of a single drug is minor.

Continue Learning about Senior Health

Beyond the Binge: Dangers of Senior Drinking
Babe Ruth was known as the “Sultan of Swat” for his outstanding play on the baseball field. In 1924, he led the league with a 0.378 batting average an...
How can faith help seniors accept living in a nursing home?
Anthony CirilloAnthony Cirillo
For some elderly acceptance of a nursing facility is easy, acceptance not only of new surroundin...
Why see a geriatrician versus a family physician or internist?
Dr. William Wien, DODr. William Wien, DO
In actual fact, the large majority of geriatricians are family medicine or internal medicine special...
How Can I Sleep Better If I'm over 65?
How Can I Sleep Better If I'm over 65?