As an older adult, why should I avoid some medications?

Anne Fabiny
Geriatric Medicine
A number of over-the-counter and prescription drugs commonly taken by older people have side effects that can scramble thinking and dim memory. Because the elderly are more sensitive to these effects and often take multiple medications, the cumulative effect may make it difficult for them to carry out basic daily activities such as bathing, dressing, and even walking.

Many doctors may not fully appreciate that the drugs they're recommending and prescribing might be saddling their patients with detrimental side effects because, individually, the effect of a single drug is minor.

Continue Learning about Senior Health

The Rise of STDs in Seniors
The Rise of STDs in Seniors
In 1970, when Stephen Stills recorded “Love the One You’re With,” it became a rallying cry for the hippy “free love” movement (more myth than fact, bu...
What are Area Agencies on Aging?
Eric PfeifferEric Pfeiffer
Area Agencies on Aging are federally funded community organizations designed to assist elderly p...
Why do old people tend to get chilly so easily?
Factors that contribute to the tendency to feel chilly in old age include thinning of the skin and l...
What Should I Tell My Caregivers About My Health as I Get Older?