What are the different types of seafood allergies?

Seafood allergies are actually an umbrella term for two different allergies-fish and shellfish. Both allergies involve underwater sea creatures, but it is possible to be allergic to one and not the other. For example, if you have a crustacean shellfish allergy, you likely have to avoid shellfish like lobster and crab, but you might still be able to eat fish such as bass and flounder. You might even be allergic to only one type of shellfish, or all shellfish. Talk to your doctor to see if you can determine which type of seafood allergy you have.

Continue Learning about Seafood Allergy

How do medications treat a seafood allergy?
A seafood allergy can be best treated, and prevented, by avoiding seafood. Medications cannot treat ...
What are the symptoms of a seafood allergy?
Seafood allergies cause many of the same skin and respiratory issues that other allergic reactions u...
Can I take coral calcium if I have a seafood allergy?
Most people with seafood allergies should avoid coral calcium. Taken from coral reefs, this suppleme...
How do I manage my seafood allergy on a daily basis?
The best way to manage your seafood allergy on a daily basis is to avoid seafood. The biggest concer...