What increases my child's risk for infantile scoliosis?

Since the cause of infantile scoliosis is unknown, the risk factors are also unknown. However, scoliosis can run in families, so there may be a genetic link. Another possible risk factor is back sleeping. People in Europe tend to put babies on their backs, and the incidence of infantile scoliosis is higher there than in the United States, where in the past babies were often put to sleep on their stomachs. Because of the risk of SIDS, however, it is still recommended that babies sleep on their backs.

Continue Learning about Scoliosis in Children

What are my child's treatment options for scoliosis?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
If your child's scoliosis isn't causing any problems, one treatment option is to watch and wait. Thi...
Can children with scoliosis exercise and participate in physical activity?
Diana K. Blythe, MDDiana K. Blythe, MD
Children with scoliosis not only can but should exercise and participate in physical activity. Exerc...
How does structural scoliosis affect children differently than adults?
Structural scoliosis typically occurs in children who are still growing, especially before entering ...
How do I know if my child needs surgery for scoliosis?
Medical City Children’s HospitalMedical City Children’s Hospital
In a child, surgery for scoliosis is driven by the anatomy of the curve. In children, doctors try to...