What increases my child's risk for infantile scoliosis?

Since the cause of infantile scoliosis is unknown, the risk factors are also unknown. However, scoliosis can run in families, so there may be a genetic link. Another possible risk factor is back sleeping. People in Europe tend to put babies on their backs, and the incidence of infantile scoliosis is higher there than in the United States, where in the past babies were often put to sleep on their stomachs. Because of the risk of SIDS, however, it is still recommended that babies sleep on their backs.

Continue Learning about Scoliosis in Children

What are the symptoms of adolescent scoliosis?
Luke Macyszyn, MDLuke Macyszyn, MD
The symptoms of adolescent scoliosis include the following: Back pain: About 40 percent to 60 pe...
How will surgery for scoliosis affect my child?
Medical City Children’s HospitalMedical City Children’s Hospital
Scoliosis surgery for an adolescent child involves taking bones that are starting to grow crookedly,...
When should I call my doctor if I suspect my child has scoliosis?
Baptist Health South FloridaBaptist Health South Florida
Parents who see any asymmetries in their child’s body such as elevation in their shoulders, chest di...
What causes infantile scoliosis?
The cause of infantile scoliosis is usually undetermined, so the disorder is also known as infantile...