How will surgery for scoliosis affect my child?

Scoliosis surgery for an adolescent child involves taking bones that are starting to grow crookedly, pulling them straight and getting them to heal together so that as an adult or further in adolescence, the curve doesn't continue to get bigger. Generally, most of the low back and all of the neck moves totally normally.

Most children are out of the hospital in three or four days and back to school by four weeks. There is no post-operative brace immobilization. Most children can return to non-contact sports by three months, and full contact sports by six months.

Continue Learning about Scoliosis in Children

What are the symptoms of infantile scoliosis?
If the infantile scoliosis is mild, the child will have no symptoms. The condition generally does no...
When is surgery recommended for a child with scoliosis?
Luke Macyszyn, MDLuke Macyszyn, MD
Surgery is only recommended for a child with scoliosis when the curvature of the spine exceeds a cer...
How do I know if my child needs surgery for scoliosis?
Medical City Children’s HospitalMedical City Children’s Hospital
In a child, surgery for scoliosis is driven by the anatomy of the curve. In children, doctors try to...
Is pain normal in children with scoliosis?
Scoliosis with a lot of pain in children is a red flag. A child with idiopathic scoliosis would be f...