How can I help my child who is worried about starting a new school year?

Don't underestimate the power of talking with your child to ease his or her worries about starting a new school year. Children's school worries could be about what teacher they're getting or whether they'll make new friends this year. You can help your child build confidence by working on social and conversational skills, like how to start a chat or be a good friend.

Conversely, don't plant fears or anxieties in your child's head needlessly. For instance, don't say, "I heard one of the third-grade teachers is really tough. I hope you don't get that one." Or, "Do you think that child who bullied other kids last year will be in your class?" Children pick up on parents' signals. If you approach school with an upbeat, positive attitude, your child will likely follow your example.

Continue Learning about School Age Child Emotional Health

What are signs that my child is stressed?
Blanca Orellana, PhDBlanca Orellana, PhD
Stress is the way our bodies and minds react to a particular challenge or situation. By recognizing ...
How can I teach my child about delayed gratification?
You need to master the skill of not giving in to every little whim and want of your child. And f...
How can I help a child who is acting out after a death in the family?
Niamh van MeinesNiamh van Meines
Often children find it easier to express themselves through games and drawing pictures. Spending tim...
How Are Different Child Temperaments Dealt With?