Are children with schizophrenia able to go to school?

Douglas E. Severance, MD
Family Medicine
Children with schizophrenia may be able to attend school and maintain their grades. One of the best ways to increase the likelihood of a positive outcome for children with schizophrenia is to have them evaluated, diagnosed and treated early on. Parents who intervene early are offering their child the best chance for recovery. If a child with schizophrenia is not treated for the illness, the child is more likely to drop out of school and experience a progression of the disease. When a child with schizophrenia does attend school, he often does better with small class sizes and individualized lesson plans, according to the National Alliance on Mental Illness. Classrooms staffed by teachers who are educated about schizophrenia and other mental disorders can help the child succeed to the best of his ability.

Continue Learning about Schizophrenia

The Serious Risks Faced by People with Schizophrenia
It’s long been a stereotype with an unfortunate underlying nugget of truth: that people with schizophrenia are more prone to violence and suicide. A l...
How can I help a parent who has schizophrenia?
Douglas E. Severance, MDDouglas E. Severance, MD
One of the best ways to help a parent with an illness like schizophrenia is to be supportive. Ed...
Can I help my family member avoid a relapse from schizophrenia?
Mark Moronell, MDMark Moronell, MD
You can help a person with schizophrenia avoid a relapse. According to the National Institute of...
Who Is Likely to Get Schizophrenia?
Who Is Likely to Get Schizophrenia?