When should I go to the emergency room for salmonella food poisoning?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

If your condition needs treatment at all, Salmonella food poisoning can usually be treated as an outpatient with your family physician. If you are suffering from dehydration and can't reach your doctor, do not hesitate to go to the emergency room, though. The hospital will treat you with intravenous fluids. Also visit the emergency room if you develop a high fever. Home care is usually sufficient to manage the other symptoms of Salmonella.

Continue Learning about Salmonella Food Poisoning

What You Need to Know About Salmonella in Hawaii
Hawaii is ranked as the healthiest state in the country, according to America’s Health Rankings by the United Health Foundation, where Kamaaina can ex...
How is Salmonella food poisoning diagnosed?
Salmonella food poisoning is usually diagnosed by a stool sample. A blood test can also be performed...
How is food poisoning from salmonella treated?
Usually, treatment for Salmonella food poisoning is simple and cost effective. Diarrhea causes dehyd...
How could I get a Salmonella infection from live poultry?
Live poultry, such as chickens, chicks, ducks, ducklings, geese, and turkeys, may have Salmonella ge...