Why do children have accidents?

Children are prone to accidents because of a subconscious seesawing within them. They usually underestimate the risk level of a situation, often because they haven't experienced it yet. Makes sense, right? Why else would they try to climb a slippery piece of playground equipment? Kids are hardwired at an early age to act, not to think, reason, or calculate. That's a good thing, most times. Otherwise, they'd never explore or learn, and they'd be content spending their whole lives sitting and not doing. And there's even an evolutionary reason for it: Risk-taking behavior can lead to innovations that improve the chance of survival. Essentially, we're wired to make mistakes and learn from them.
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

What to Do About Smoke-Filled Skies
What to Do About Smoke-Filled Skies
Folks from the West and Southwest to the Midwest and beyond are dealing with eye irritation, breathing difficulty and asthma from rampant wildfires th...
What are some fireworks safety tips?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Fireworks add festivity to a Fourth of July celebration, but a public fireworks display is safer and...
How can I keep my child safe at home?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
To keep your child safe at home, follow these guidelines: Install gates at top and bottom of stai...
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?