Why do children have accidents?

Children are prone to accidents because of a subconscious seesawing within them. They usually underestimate the risk level of a situation, often because they haven't experienced it yet. Makes sense, right? Why else would they try to climb a slippery piece of playground equipment? Kids are hardwired at an early age to act, not to think, reason, or calculate. That's a good thing, most times. Otherwise, they'd never explore or learn, and they'd be content spending their whole lives sitting and not doing. And there's even an evolutionary reason for it: Risk-taking behavior can lead to innovations that improve the chance of survival. Essentially, we're wired to make mistakes and learn from them.
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

How to Stay Safe in Hawaii’s Next Landslide
Landslides are a common and destructive occurrence in all mountainous areas, but the heavy rains, loose rocks and occasional seismic activity make Haw...
Taking a Shot at a Safer World
Taking a Shot at a Safer World
Eleven U.S. soldiers were killed in Afghanistan in 2017. According to the CDC, during that same time, 39,773 people were killed by guns (homicides and...
Ask the Experts: Grains and Gun Safety
Ask the Experts: Grains and Gun Safety
Q: I love rice but I am afraid it’s not so good for me—kind of the white bread of grains, my wife tells me. What’s the real story? —George G., Monroe,...
Backyard Pools: How to Keep Your Kids Safe
In June of 2019, country music star Granger Smith posted a devastating announcement on Instagram. Doctors had been unable to revive his three-year-old...