What sports require a mouthguard?

Well-fitted, custom-made mouthguards are essential for most sports, especially
those that are high contact, such as boxing, football, martial arts, kickboxing,
wrestling and street or ice hockey. They are also appropriate for soccer,
basketball, baseball, softball, rollerblading, skateboarding, and mountain
biking.

Contact sports, such as football, require the participants to use a mouthguard. However, when there is any risk of sudden jarring movement to the face or jaw, the use of a mouthguard should be considered. Many professional and non-professional athletes use mouthguards in sports where it is not required. 

If you participate in any of the following activities, the American Dental Association (ADA) and the Academy for Sports Dentistry recommend that you wear a properly fitted mouthguard:
  • Acrobatics
  • Baseball
  • Basketball
  • Bicycling
  • Boxing
  • Equestrian events
  • Extreme sports
  • Field hockey
  • Football
  • Gymnastics
  • Handball
  • Ice hockey
  • Inline skating
  • Lacrosse
  • Martial arts
  • Racquetball
  • Rugby
  • Shotputting
  • Skateboarding
  • Skiing
  • Skydiving
  • Soccer
  • Softball
  • Squash
  • Surfing
  • Volleyball
  • Water polo
  • Weightlifting
  • Wrestling

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

Ask the Experts: Grains and Gun Safety
Ask the Experts: Grains and Gun Safety
Q: I love rice but I am afraid it’s not so good for me—kind of the white bread of grains, my wife tells me. What’s the real story? —George G., Monroe,...
What supplies should women pack when traveling abroad?
Traveling abroad can sometimes mean a new set of personal hygiene and health regulations, but until ...
What should I do if I see a dead bat?
If you come across a dead bat, call animal control services to see if they can safely remove the ani...
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?