What is the difference between a lace-up ankle brace and a rigid brace?

Both lace-up and rigid ankle braces provide support for your ankle and ankle ligaments. Ankle braces are commonly used in many different sports to prevent many types and degrees of ankle injuries.

Lace-up ankle braces are softer braces that have laces that help tighten the brace against the ankle. They can be more lightweight and thinner, providing moderate stability to your ankle. This type of brace is good to use if you are prone to ankle sprains or recovering from an ankle sprain.

A rigid ankle brace is designed to treat more severe ankle sprains and injuries. These braces help immobilize the ankle and may provide compression to reduce swelling from the injury. They are typically thicker and less mobile than lace-up ankle braces. (This answer provided for NATA by the Saint Louis University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Safety & Preparedness

What You Need to Know About Dry Drowning
You know how right after you jog or do free weights, you feel fine, but the next day your muscles are tender and sore? This phenomenon was first descr...
What are the most common winter injuries?
John Randolph Medical Center - HCA VirginiaJohn Randolph Medical Center - HCA Virginia
The most common winter injuries, like falls and back strains, are related to snow and ice.
When should my child wear a brace while playing sports?
Sunrise Children's HospitalSunrise Children's Hospital
Children should wear braces when playing sports only if there is a need for support or stability.
What Human Medications Are Harmful to My Pets?