Why might I have pain in my back when I am running?

Back pain is not common during running and should not be experienced. Many athletes, runners especially runners, will develop altered biomechanics and movement compensations. Most commonly runners will develop tightness in the hip flexors muscles that pull on the lower back. With this muscle chronically overactive, low back pain can develop. The NASM Corrective Exercise protocol suggests to inhibit and lengthen the hip flexors followed by strengthening of the gluteal muscles. Before doing so you should see a physician to determine exactly what is wrong with your back. 

Running and working out can often strain the back, causing severe pain. In this video, Dr. Oz and Dr. Mike Clark discuss how hip, leg, and butt muscles, when strained, can cause back pain.

Continue Learning about Running