Why might I have pain in my back when I am running?

Back pain is not common during running and should not be experienced. Many athletes, runners especially runners, will develop altered biomechanics and movement compensations. Most commonly runners will develop tightness in the hip flexors muscles that pull on the lower back. With this muscle chronically overactive, low back pain can develop. The NASM Corrective Exercise protocol suggests to inhibit and lengthen the hip flexors followed by strengthening of the gluteal muscles. Before doing so you should see a physician to determine exactly what is wrong with your back. 

Continue Learning about Running

What can a distance runner do outside the weight room to increase fitness?
Margaret Scherrer Margaret Scherrer
As a former distance runner myself, I can tell you there is plenty to do outside the weight room to ...
How much should I drink while running?
Don't forget to drink when you're out running. When you run, you sweat. If you're not adequately hyd...
How do I run in the pool if I am injured?
You can maintain and even improve your fitness by working your cardiovascular system with deep w...
Besides running on the streets, how else can distance runners get better?
Other than running on the roads, distance runners can use a variety of ways to improve their spe...