What type of exercise program should sprinters and hurdlers do in the fall?

Sprinters and hurdlers do a plethora of activities in the fall (September-November) to build a training base that will last the whole season. Running is the most important aspect of the fall training and should take place six days per week. Running consists of short tempo runs (150m-300m), long tempo runs (400m-800m), distance runs on roads or trails (2-3 miles), hill runs (80m-250m), acceleration runs (30m or less), speed endurance runs (80m-300m), and running up stadium stairs. Each day of fall training should consist of one of these components. Along with the daily running workout there are strength and conditioning exercises to help make the sprinter or hurdler stronger and more dynamic. Weight training should be done two to three times per week in the fall and should be followed by a running workout that does not require the athlete to run at speeds of more than 80% of their maximal effort. Plyometrics should be done in conjuntion with what is being done in the weight room and should take place one to two times per week depending overall training focus of the week. Medicine ball exercises and multi throws should each be done on a weekly basis. Fall is a great time to do extra sprint drill work and improve flexibility by walking and skipping over hurdles. General strength body circuits and abdominal circuits are also recommended. Fall is a time to work the small muscles in the body that may get overlooked during the season due to time, travel, and training volume constraints.

Continue Learning about Running

Why should I try to run without a watch?
Chippenham Hospital - HCA VirginiaChippenham Hospital - HCA Virginia
Try to run once a week without a watch, just to listen to your body. We become very focused on pace ...
Why might I have pain in my back when I am running?
Dr. Mike Clark, DPTDr. Mike Clark, DPT
Running and working out can often strain the back, causing severe pain. In this video, Dr. Oz an...
Is running on a treadmill the same as running on the road?
Andrea Ingram , NASM Elite TrainerAndrea Ingram , NASM Elite Trainer
There is no substitute for time on the road, but running on the treadmill can be a good alternative ...
How to Heal Shin Splints
How to Heal Shin Splints