What is the best exercise to work on hill running?

Explosive (power) step ups will help to develop lower body strength and power to help get up hills during training runs and races. Not only will they target strength, they work on endurance as well. These are demanding drills and should only be performed when an athlete is fit and strong enough to safely perform the effort. They will help athletes to coast up hills by developing lower body power so they can not only cruise past other runners on a steep or gradual incline, they can regain their stride at the top and not be wasted for the final kick. Starting Position: Stand tall, in an athletic stance, with your feet hip width apart and one foot on a box. Try to find a box that puts your knee at or above a 90 degree angle. Movement: In one smooth, controlled movement, drive your body up by pressing down on the foot that is on the box and the opposite arm. Explode up as high as you can and land softly in the same position. Repetitions/Time: 3 sets of 10 repetitions for each leg. 1 minute rest between sets. Include this exercise no more than two times per week to ensure adequate recovery and safety of the exercise execution.

Continue Learning about Running

Run . . . for Your Life!
Run . . . for Your Life!
Starting a regular running habit could mean a longer -- and more comfortable -- life. After a 20-year study involving close to 1,000 middle-aged adul...
How should I taper before running a race?
Chippenham Hospital - HCA VirginiaChippenham Hospital - HCA Virginia
Tapering is individualized like running programs, shoes and style. However, there are general rules ...
What kinds of fun runs can I do if I enjoy a challenge?
Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)
If you are a runner who likes a challenge, or is just looking for a fun way to exercise that’s great...
How Can Runners Prevent Injury?
How Can Runners Prevent Injury?