Should I run everyday?

No. Absolutely not. Even the top runners take rest days. Rest days are an integral part to every training program. The body grows stronger and faster when it is recovering from overload or stress accumulated through volume (miles or time spent running) and intensity (the pace at which you run). Without proper recovery the body will not adapt to the overload properly and will suffer from injury or become susceptible to overtraining syndrome. The body needs rest days to allow for recovery. Athletes will return from rest days recharged both mentally and physically. They will be better able to handle a training plan and will make greater improvements with proper recovery. At least one day off per week is necessary, however, some athletes take two or three days off or cross train to vary the training load. It is a good idea to include active recovery in any training plan as well. Active recovery speeds up the body's ability to recover without adding further stress to the system. The recovery process is promoted by the increased blood flow, which serves to flush metabolic waste accumulated through training. Active recovery can include a brisk walk or a light bike ride for less than one hour in length.

Continue Learning about Running

What can cause heel pain during distance running?
Some of the things that cause pain while running include: improper footwear overuse running on ...
How can I prevent running injuries?
Many of the common injuries seen in runners can be prevented with a proper corrective exercise and f...
What stretch can I do before I run that reduces my chance of being hurt?
Although there are a number of stretches you can do before you run, that is only part of what you sh...
What are the warning signs of a potential running injury?
Julie DuBois, NASM Elite Trainer, RDJulie DuBois, NASM Elite Trainer, RD
Most running injuries occur due to chronic overuse and impact.  These types of injuries occur most c...