How can listening to my body help avoid injuries when running?

If you want to make running easier, listen to your body. If you feel any ongoing persistent pain, stop running. Your body signals you with a pain message, and you need to pay attention to it. The problem may just be a side stitch or a muscle cramp, but you still want to pay attention.

Many things can cause cramping: eating too close to your run, eating the wrong foods, shallow breathing or even dehydration. If caught with a cramp, try deep lung breathing: place your hand on your stomach and breathe deeply. Your stomach should rise and fall if you're breathing correctly (from your lower lungs).

Continue Learning about Running

Why is it important to rest after running a race?
Running a race stresses your body. When you run, you use up metabolic fuel, enzymes and hormones. Ru...
How can I increase my distance in running?
Increasing your distance in running will be dependant on two things: your endurance and your running...
How can I choose a training plan to run 10K?
Chippenham Hospital - HCA VirginiaChippenham Hospital - HCA Virginia
There are many different types of training plans for running a 10K; make sure to choose one that fit...
How can I prepare to run in cold weather?
HCA VirginiaHCA Virginia
The cold shouldn’t be a major problem for runners, but you need to be aware of the extra challenge t...