How can listening to my body help avoid injuries when running?

If you want to make running easier, listen to your body. If you feel any ongoing persistent pain, stop running. Your body signals you with a pain message, and you need to pay attention to it. The problem may just be a side stitch or a muscle cramp, but you still want to pay attention.

Many things can cause cramping: eating too close to your run, eating the wrong foods, shallow breathing or even dehydration. If caught with a cramp, try deep lung breathing: place your hand on your stomach and breathe deeply. Your stomach should rise and fall if you're breathing correctly (from your lower lungs).

Continue Learning about Running

Run . . . for Your Life!
Run . . . for Your Life!
Starting a regular running habit could mean a longer -- and more comfortable -- life. After a 20-year study involving close to 1,000 middle-aged adul...
Is running in place as effective as running on a treadmill?
No, while running in place is better than nothing at all and is a good warm up technique it does not...
Why do I get a snapping feeling on the outside of my knee when I run?
The most likely explanation is that the iliotibial band (IT band) is snapping across the outside par...
How Can Runners Prevent Injury?
How Can Runners Prevent Injury?