Will a scrum cap prevent concussions in rugby?

The function of the scrum cap is to protect the face, scalp, and ears from cuts and bruises. It also helps prevent “cauliflower ear,” which can be a common injury for the forward positions. It does not, however, prevent concussions in rugby. Actually, the false sense of security that can come from wearing a scrum cap can make the athlete more aggressive during play and more at risk for a concussion. (This answer provided for NATA by the Saint Louis University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Rugby

How should I warm-up for a rugby game?
Warming-up before a game should only be slightly modified compared to daily rugby practice and train...
Should I run more or lift more during the rugby off-season?
As a rugby player, the majority of your off-season training should be directed toward strength d...
When should a rugby player begin an SAQ program in the off-season?
Speed, agility, and quickness (SAQ) training should be a part of an off-season program right fro...
What is a good speed test for rugby athletes?
One good linear speed test for rugby is the 40-yard dash. To perform this assessment, have a player ...