What are some exercises to strengthen my core as a rugby player?

As a rugby player, having a strong, properly functioning core is paramount. First, you must develop stability in your core before you can maximize strength. An example exercise to develop stability is a plank on a stability ball. To perform this exercise, start in a push-up position with your hands on a stability ball and your feet on the ground. Keep your navel drawn-in and your stomach tight. Hold that position for 30 seconds. Repeat for the desired number of repetitions. As you develop better stability, you can focus on dynamic strength. Start with cable or tubing rotations. As you rotate through your core, your arms will follow, guiding the cable through its proper path. With these exercises you should feel your weight shift from the trail foot to the lead foot, allowing your trail foot to pivot at the end of the movement. Be sure to keep both feet on the ground for the entire exercise. Perform this movements smoothly and slowly as you initially complete the exercise. As you are better able to perform the motion, add speed, but stay in control. Keep the navel pulled-in and the stomach tight the entire time. Perform 1 -3 sets of 12 to 15 repetitions.

Continue Learning about Rugby

How often should injury prevention be included in a rugby workout?
You should include some form of injury prevention and/or corrective exercise in every workout.  It i...
How can I improve my acceleration for rugby?
As a rugby athlete, the ability to accelerate quickly can create scoring opportunities. A great ...
How do I improve my lateral quickness for rugby?
Using a speed ladder for various drills is a great way to improve lateral quickness for rugby. A...
How can I improve my cardio for rugby while also trying to add bulk?
The goal of rugby conditioning should be to keep it short and high-intensity. Your endurance wil...