What happens after a root canal?

After the root canal is completed, there may be lingering soreness for a few days. A follow-up visit to the dentist is in order so as to make sure that the infection has been cleared up; this may require another round of dental X-rays. You may also receive a prescription for antibiotics to ensure that the infection will not come back. Expect to go in for regular checkups every six months for continued, long-term monitoring.

Continue Learning about Root Canal Therapy

What happens in the first 24 hours after a wisdom tooth is extracted?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
In the first 24 hours after a wisdom tooth is extracted you may experience swelling and discomfort. ...
Do root canals involve drills?
A root canal treatment generally involves the removal and replacement of a tooth’s pulp. The pulp is...
How many dentist visits does it take to get a root canal?
Most of the time, a root canal is a relatively simple procedure with little or no discomfort involvi...
When should I call my doctor if I had a root canal treatment?
If you've recently had a root canal and are experiencing pain, swelling, bleeding or other problems ...