What are the signs that a root canal is needed?

If you have pain when biting, tooth sensitivity to heat or cold, gum swelling near a specific tooth, tooth discoloration, or a broken tooth, you might need a root canal. Your dentist can do some easy tests to determine whether you need a root canal, such as putting something hot or cold next to the tooth or taking an x-ray of the tooth.

You might need root canal when there’s an infection in the tooth or the tooth’s pulp is damaged. The pulp can get infected from an untreated cavity. This happens if the pulp, inside the tooth, becomes exposed to bacteria, causing inflammation and reducing the tooth’s blood supply. Antibiotics can’t reach inside a tooth to clear up an infection, so the pulp needs to be cleaned out and the root canal filled. If you're experiencing pain or sensitivity in a tooth, especially in a tooth that's broken or cracked, you may have root or pulp damage and should see your dentist immediately.`

Continue Learning about Root Canal Therapy

Why do I need a root canal treatment?
Thomas Connelly, Online InfluencerThomas Connelly, Online Influencer
When your tooth has gotten to the point where you need a root canal, the inside of the tooth (the pu...
How can root canals be prevented?
Jerry P. Gordon, DMDJerry P. Gordon, DMD
In some cases, the need for root canal can be prevented by good home care, frequent brushing and flo...
When should I call my doctor if I had a root canal treatment?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
If you've recently had a root canal and are experiencing pain, swelling, bleeding or other problems ...
Do root canals involve drills?
A root canal treatment generally involves the removal and replacement of a tooth’s pulp. The pulp is...