How do I know if I need a root canal?

Is the pulp (soft tissue inside your teeth containing blood vessels, nerves and connective tissue) inflamed or diseased? If so, you may need a root canal to save the tooth.

A root canal removes the diseased pulp. The pulp chamber and root canal(s) of the tooth are then cleaned and sealed. 
You may need a root canal if you have a severe toothache, usually along with swelling in your jaw around your tooth. When the pulp (the soft tissue inside the roots and center of a tooth) is damaged from a cracked tooth or other injury, or from a deep cavity, it can get infected. This can cause pain, swelling, and even an abscess in the bone around the tooth. To treat the damage, your dentist can do a root canal to remove the pulp from the tooth's roots and pulp chamber, treat any infection, and fill the tooth. You will then need a crown over the repaired tooth.

Continue Learning about Root Canal Therapy