What questions should I ask my doctor if I have rheumatoid arthritis (RA)?

Review the following questions to ask about rheumatoid arthritis (RA) so you're prepared to discuss this important health issue with your healthcare professional.
  • Do I have rheumatoid arthritis? How can you tell?
  • Can you rule out similar diseases, like osteoarthritis and lupus?
  • What are my treatment options?
  • How can I recognize a flare? What should I do when one occurs?
  • What drugs are available to help me? What are their benefits and side effects? Will these drugs interact with any other medications I am taking?
  • Can you recommend an exercise plan that is compatible with my stage of RA?
  • Should I try nutritional supplements like green tea and fish oils?
  • How far has my RA progressed? How does that affect the management plan you're recommending?
  • Can I benefit from starting therapy with disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drugs (DMARDs) early?
  • Are there any RA support groups in my area?
  • Are there any special devices that can help me stay as independent and active as possible?
  • What is methotrexate and how can it help me? How should I take methotrexate, and what are its risks? Are there any alternative drugs similar to methotrexate that I can try?
  • Should I take the selective COX-2 inhibitor Celebrex or one of the standard NSAIDs? What are the risks and benefits of both?

Continue Learning about Rheumatoid Arthritis

RA Remission Is Possible—But Too Rare
RA Remission Is Possible—But Too Rare
If you have rheumatoid arthritis (RA), what would an ideal treatment look like? For starters, it would relieve your symptoms completely -- no stiff or...
What is rheumatoid arthritis (RA)?
Eric OlsenEric Olsen
Rheumatoid arthritis, one of the types of arthritis, is a metabolic disease and involves inflamm...
5 Natural Ways to Ease Rheumatoid Arthritis Pain
5 Natural Ways to Ease Rheumatoid Arthritis Pain5 Natural Ways to Ease Rheumatoid Arthritis Pain5 Natural Ways to Ease Rheumatoid Arthritis Pain5 Natural Ways to Ease Rheumatoid Arthritis Pain
Use these strategies to soothe stiff, achy joints and help prevent RA flare-ups.
What Are the Symptoms of Psoriatic Arthritis?