Are there any complications associated with rheumatoid arthritis?

Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) can affect more than just the joints, bones, and surrounding muscle. About one-quarter of those with RA develop rheumatoid nodules. These are bumps under the skin that often form close to the joints. Many people with rheumatoid arthritis develop anemia. Other effects, which occur less often, include neck pain and dry eyes and mouth. Very rarely, RA results in inflammation of the blood vessels, the lining of the lungs, or the sac enclosing the heart. If you have RA, you may also be at increased risk for infections and gastrointestinal ailments.

In addition to joint pain and inflammation, rheumatoid arthritis may also bring other complications. For example, joints may dislocate, or range of motion may be severely limited. Rheumatoid arthritis may also affect other parts of the body, including, in rare cases, the blood vessels, the membranes around the heart and lungs, and the lymph nodes. The symptoms of these complications include damage to the nerves, chest pain, and eye irritation.

Continue Learning about Rheumatoid Arthritis

Diagnosing Rheumatoid Arthritis
Diagnosing Rheumatoid Arthritis
When you see a rheumatologist about joint pain symptoms for the first time, he or she will look at several factors to determine if you have rheumatoid...
What is hand and finger Rheumatoid Arthritis?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Rheumatoid Arthritis is an auto-immune mediated systemic inflammatory condition that can damage the ...
9 Must-Ask Rheumatoid Arthritis Questions
9 Must-Ask Rheumatoid Arthritis Questions9 Must-Ask Rheumatoid Arthritis Questions9 Must-Ask Rheumatoid Arthritis Questions9 Must-Ask Rheumatoid Arthritis Questions
Here's what you need to know about RA.
If I Have Rheumatoid Arthritis, Will I Need Joints Replaced?