Are there any complications associated with rheumatoid arthritis?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

In addition to joint pain and inflammation, rheumatoid arthritis may also bring other complications. For example, joints may dislocate, or range of motion may be severely limited. Rheumatoid arthritis may also affect other parts of the body, including, in rare cases, the blood vessels, the membranes around the heart and lungs, and the lymph nodes. The symptoms of these complications include damage to the nerves, chest pain, and eye irritation.

Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) can affect more than just the joints, bones, and surrounding muscle. About one-quarter of those with RA develop rheumatoid nodules. These are bumps under the skin that often form close to the joints. Many people with rheumatoid arthritis develop anemia. Other effects, which occur less often, include neck pain and dry eyes and mouth. Very rarely, RA results in inflammation of the blood vessels, the lining of the lungs, or the sac enclosing the heart. If you have RA, you may also be at increased risk for infections and gastrointestinal ailments.

Continue Learning about Rheumatoid Arthritis

Get to Know Rheumatoid Arthritis
Get to Know Rheumatoid ArthritisGet to Know Rheumatoid ArthritisGet to Know Rheumatoid ArthritisGet to Know Rheumatoid Arthritis
Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is an autoimmune disease that causes pain, swelling and stiffness in the joints. While RA can attack joints throughout the ...
5 Natural Ways to Ease Rheumatoid Arthritis Pain
5 Natural Ways to Ease Rheumatoid Arthritis Pain5 Natural Ways to Ease Rheumatoid Arthritis Pain5 Natural Ways to Ease Rheumatoid Arthritis Pain5 Natural Ways to Ease Rheumatoid Arthritis Pain
Use these strategies to soothe stiff, achy joints and help prevent RA flare-ups. Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is an autoimmune disorder in which the body...
How Should I Tell People About My Newly Diagnosed Rheumatoid Arthritis?
What Is a Synovectomy for Rheumatoid Arthritis?